Torn between writing about OTHER side of Ghetu’s coin and a post on OPTIMAL use of SM. Just hope I’m not going to hotchpotch as I set about writing both in one sitting.
Ghetu’s comment on the other side of the coin had me ponder. Yes, education has empowered the girl child at least in urban areas – Tier I and II towns and cities and what have you.
BUT, I also know of quite a few girls from so-called small towns like Meerut, Jamshedpur, Chipurpalli and Aska (for those unaware as was I, the last two are in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa in that order) who would give any metro-brought up girl a run for her Scooty!!
Bold and fiery, these girls have moved away from home and (familiar) habitat to make a life for themselves in alien surroundings bereft of familiar faces and fond memories. Most of them haven’t returned home permanently preferring to marry ‘broad-minded” boys they have met either through a matrimonial site or elsewhere, while some others have continued to pursue their career, interests, freedom and whatever they choose to do.
So what does it tell us? Education and Financial Freedom empowers women and makes them independent. Unfortunately in a few cases, such as those Ghetu inferred to: this also leads to Aggressive feminism when chivalry is misconstrued and a Helping Hand ripped off. Thankfully, these are but a few cases. Women do have a fine sense of balance, what say?!!
And what about those instances when there is ABUSE of POWER. At times when you are having to stay back at work or college or tuitions much later than the usual time. Felt wary asking yourself why?
- Ever felt wary at having to deal with a superior or peer who was lil’ too familiar for comfort?
- Who probably leaned into you or on to you on the pretext of showing a diagram or explain a presentation better?
- Who made personal remarks about you, your sense of dressing or the beard you sport?
- Who insinuated that you were an object to be leched at and not work/study?
- Whose gaze started with your boobs and ended there?
- Who prompted you to keep books as a clothing accessory?
- Who gave you a sinking feeling in the stomach at the mere thought or sight of him/her?
- Who did not know and refused to understand NO meant NO, and was not an invitation to repeat innuendos for dinners, lunches, breakfasts, anything at all!!!!!
Worse, I thought such type of men; yes they are a TYPE – the slug type- you find in dark, smelly corners existed and I personally did not have any in my circle, until someone decided to ‘fess up. Unrequited love had for a while turned this person into one of those DARRanak characters who did not understand NO. Fortunately, good sense prevailed and though turned a Gloomy gus the DARR isn’t there anymore!!